Friday, November 07, 2008

Do you have a personal anthem?

Music is a good source of healing. I discovered a song post stroke that I use to aid my recovery efforts. Christine Aguilera’s song called Fighter is be fitting of my stroke hurdles. Although the song is written about a personal relationship, it suits the union I have with my stroke. Aside from becoming a mother, there is not one single event that has changed me so significantly.

It made me reassess and redefine who I am. I had to say Good bye to the corporate working mother and recreate a new path, but it is now a path more fulfilling because I am positively sure of my purpose here on earth—to help others find their way through difficult times--to show that using heavy doses of humor and keeping a positive attitude will help one prevail.

It’s a good pump up song for a better workout at the gym too!

“After all you put me through you’d think I'd despise you but in the end
I want to thank you 'cause you made that much stronger…
So I wanna say thank you, cause it...

Makes me that much stronger
Makes me work a little bit harder
Makes me that much wiser
So thanks for making me a fighter
Made me learn a little bit faster
Made my skin a little bit thicker
Makes me that much smarter
So thanks for making me a fighter…” Christine Aguilera

I have other anthems as well, such as; Al Greene’s Let’s Stay Together sums up my relationship and marriage to Jim:

“..Let's, let's stay together Lovin' you whether, whether Times are good or bad Happy or sad Good or bad, happy or sad…”

Additionally, through those thick and thin times since our marriage vows, I would add: ‘Lovin you whether, whether slim and trim or chubby and heavy, whether size six or sixteen, whether cheery or bitchy’.

And when I let out a loud belch, in the privacy of my home of course, I break into “She’s a Lady” by Tom Jones!

I suppose when I actually get my hemiplegic body on those roller blades, I’ll be adding a new anthem to my repertoire: ‘Let the Good Times Roll’!

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Tell her what she's won said...

Hi, Julia,
When you get on the roller blades, I would be happy to come with my iDock and speakers to crank "Pedal to the Medal" by Kazzer. It's a great "pump it up" song.

Best, Leslie Granese

11/23/2008 4:31 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth, John, Jack, and Luke said...

One of my friends just passed along ur blog. I love your attitude and need to get ur book. My theme song has been rascal flatts:stand. "You get mad, get strong, then u stand". That song really inspired me to face my challenges with grace during my darkest days.
Elizabeth

10/01/2012 7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home